Pinto Bean & Chorizo Stew, it's the perfect comfort food to warm up with all season long. Flavoured with fragrant cumin, coriander, and allspice, this chunky stew is best served with a hot, buttered crusty roll for dipping.
1 medium onion, peeled & thinly sliced
1 cup pinto beans, soaked overnight (or 2 cups canned & reserve liquid)
1 cup chopped sweet potato (skin on)
2 cups chorizo, coarsely chopped chorizo (use Italian sausage if chorizo is unavailable).
½ cup olive oil– 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
6 garlic cloves, sliced
4 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 small bunch of Tuscan kale, center ribs and stems removed, torn into large pieces
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp ground allspice–
Freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, juiced
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1. Soak beans overnight.
2. Once beans have soaked overnight, place in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 ½ -2 hours or until the beans are soft. Set aside and reserve the liquid.
3. In a heavy bottomed pot, add oil, onions, and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until onions start to soften.
4. Add chorizo and cook until brown.
5. Once meat is browned, add the tomatoes, beans, and sweet potato.
6. Season with coriander, cumin, and allspice. Cover with stock, reserved bean liquid and simmer for ½ hour or until the potatoes are tender.
7. Add the kale and lemon juice.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Finish with fresh cilantro. Garnish with sour cream, avocado, fresh chillies (optional) and more cilantro.
Kale, sweet onions, white beans, parmesan, and garlic combine to make a dip or crostini topper that will quickly become one of your favourite appetizers. This kale tapenade is as versatile as it is healthy: it is great on top of crostini’s, spread on sandwiches or tossed with pasta.
Spaghetti squash is baked until tender and filled with sautéed spinach, white pea beans, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese in a pesto sauce.
This Curried White Kidney Beans with Herb & Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe will quickly earn a place on your regular dinner menu rotation! Canned white kidney beans are seasoned with fragrant curry powder and simmered before being served over garlic mashed potatoes. A hearty and flavourful meal, perfect any time of year.